Summer Strings Camp
Are you ready for Summer Strings Camp?
Strings Camp is a fabulous way to keep your music skills sharp and growing over the summer. It’s a fun way to spend time with your orchestra peers and meet new friends! If you’re new to the Philharmonic Orchestra or planning to audition, this is a great way to become involved so that you feel that sense of belonging from day 1 when orchestra rehearsals begin in the fall.
What can you expect from camp?
- Be transported with an exciting Caribbean theme
- Get individualized attention in a small group setting while still gaining experience playing with an ensemble
- Tailor the experience by choosing from one of two tracks: beginner and intermediate (if you’re in the Philharmonic Orchestra, then the intermediate track is right for you!).
- Be challenged by fun music taught by Mrs. Liticker and Mrs. McDorman
- Earn your conductor’s baton by attending a conducting class to help you learn more about expression, group playing, and musicality (intermediate track only)
- Grow in rhythm skills through a percussion class led by Mr. Lynskey (yes, he’s bringing the steel drums)
- Impress your parents with an end-of-camp concert in the beautiful Great Hall at the Kemp Center for the Arts (you know they want to take pictures and video)
- Watch for special workshops Friday from a special guest from Ft. Worth
- Pizza on Friday
The basic schedule is 8:30-noon Mon-Thursday at the Kemp Center. Friday you’ll stay all day so you can perform in the camp concert at 5:30.
Tuition is $100. It’s open to ANY string musician in the area, and YSO members receive a 10% discount. Payment may be made by mailing a check to YSO at 1300 Lamar, WF, TX 76301, by Venmo @WFYSO, or by credit card (use the “donate” button on the website, and then choose “student fees” from the drop-down menu and type “summer tuition for Student’s Name” in the comment box).
Applications for financial assistance are available.
Enroll by July 1 to avoid late fees and ensure your proper t-shirt size!
This camp has been an amazing experience and I’ve learned a lot this week. The instructors have been superb and the snack time is the cherry on top.Zayana, violist